Sunday, September 5, 2010

Wonderland September 2nd Opening

I recently read an article in ArtForum by Olafur Alaisson that, in short, provoked the idea of the museum space and challenges whether quiet, white and traditional are still necessary, or if it ever was? By white, I meant walls, specifically, but we all know it means more than that. That's why I think galleries are so necessary and why the Mission district can be such an exciting place to view works in a setting that activates the content of the work.

This past thursday evening I visited Wonderland gallery/boutique showcasing the "Fantasy Girls/Mujeres de Fantasia" exhibiting figurative work by 18 bay area artists.  Here are a few of the artist's work:

"La Muerte y la Doncella (Death and the Maiden) 30"x30"
by Rachel Znerold


"Patience"
by Amanda Lynn Andrzej


Mark Campbell

"Description for image 5"
by Mark Campbell

Most of the work was ornamental and played off of trends in fashion and popular culture. The artist who stood out the most to me was Mark Campbell for his ability to successfully use his original surface to give form, and to integrate paint seamlessly. But my interests ended there, because it was mostly line based and just about the figure. Figurative works have never made me that excited because I can't make that great of connection to the context or importance of the person. It just comes down to the fact that I don't know them or what they mean to the artist, (unless there are better visual hints to a global contemporary social issue or painterly issue, I can't keep interested).  

Overall, the show was boring. It took me about 15 minutes to get around the large crowd to see a lot of works that weren't thoughtfully put together. Watercolor works that were buckled, bad lighting, and lack of cohesiveness to the transition of works and overarching theme. Plus a bunch of art groupies with red cups and bad balance.





No comments:

Post a Comment